eRepBelgium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Community standards?

+13
Pertazeta
Critically
Mudduck95
Olv007
M.Leviathin
Cotarius
NLSP
Fhaemita Malodorous
shadowukcs
Nohjis
Procuste
jamster737
MaryamQ
17 posters

Go down

Community standards? Empty Community standards?

Post by MaryamQ 2012-01-07, 19:53

Earlier today, several images were removed from this thread http://www.erepbelgium.com/t5250-erepublik-advanced-o by Critically, one of your newly elected forum moderators. I subsequently saw a complaint that moderators have no sense of humor. I have thought about this, and I want to tell you why I think his action was appropriate.

I saw these images before they were removed, and said nothing, but I was offended by them. They included a picture of a child with Down syndrome who had participated in Special Olympics, and there was a mocking caption attached. I happen to know there is more than one person on this forum who has a family member with Down syndrome and/or who has participated in Special Olympics. I will not "out" anyone else, but I am one of those persons. I don't like it when you insult each other, but it is far more disturbing to me when you insult people who cannot help it that they are not like you, and that is what this image did.

I have previously explained why I don't like some of the language that is commonly accepted on this forum, particularly things I see as homophobic. I still don't like it, but I try to disregard it, because it is clear that not everybody's standards are the same as mine. However, there does need to be a line that cannot be crossed, and I think these images crossed it. Once again, I remind you that when you label other people in a negative way you have no idea who else may be hurt or offended by those labels.

I thought for a while before posting this, but I feel it needed to be said. Dislike it and even dislike me if you want to, but think about it.
MaryamQ
MaryamQ
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Community standards? Empty Re: Community standards?

Post by jamster737 2012-01-07, 20:56

HatOff i agree 100% but as for the homaphobic comments us gays are used to it by now -___-
jamster737
jamster737
2,000 Premium Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Procuste 2012-01-07, 21:50

I love you Maryam. I love you

Procuste
1,000 Club Member
1,000 Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nohjis 2012-01-07, 22:09

jamster737 wrote: HatOff i agree 100% but as for the homaphobic comments us gays are used to it by now -___-

Well some people agree that you shouldn't be used to it. sunny

We, in the west, are the first to prone liberty and freedom of expression. How free are you if you don't have the liberty to live without others insulting you. It's easy to be normal, it's easy to have all you want when you want and fit into the great scheme of life laid out before you. Is that any good of a reason to make it even more difficult for those who wish to think or act differently ? It's only through difference and adversity that great things happen to move society as a whole forward, without a conflict of ideas, without difference, today we would still live in a cave. So yes, it's ok to be different and it's even better to cultivate these differences and learn something new from eachother. flower

For the rest part, I had already voted MaryamQ's post. Wink
Nohjis
Nohjis

http://www.erepublik.com/en/main/group-show/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-07, 22:29

1) not "This" forum but rather "the internet". Welcome to it.

2) You can only feel offended by it if you allow yourself to be offended by it. Which, as I've said many times before, is rather sad (no offence maryam, I like you). Since being offended by someone whom you've never seen in your entire life and lives on the other side of the world is rather sad. If someone calls me a douche or a retard I don't whine about it. Why? Coz I don't give one rats ass what that person thinks of me so how can I be offended by it then?

3) I wasn't insulting ppl with a down syndrome but rather "insulting" (notice the "") NLSP for acting like someone who has the down syndrome.

4) The biggest, most active communities are the ones who are the least moderated. Dozens of active ppl have left eBelgium or less and less active because of utterly ridiculous and childish modding of the moderators/admins on this board. Admins/mods who think this forum is harboring a bunch 5 year olds is exactly what's killing this community and keeping our population. Every somewhat experienced foreign player leaves after weeks here because at the least sign of a (somewhat) adult joke, you have admins slapping you on the finger like kindergarten teacher slapping an infant coz he said "poo".

5) I cannot believe you live in the US/Canada and not hear s*** thats 10 times worse than that on one of your 500 TV channels.

EDIT

6) crit has no sense of humour
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Fhaemita Malodorous 2012-01-07, 22:47

And so start the stricter rules and even more censoring of the eBE forum Rolling Eyes
Fhaemita Malodorous
Fhaemita Malodorous
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-07, 23:11

Fhaemita Malodorous wrote:
And so start the stricter rules and even more censoring of the eBE forum Rolling Eyes

^

here are 2 pics that sum it up rather well

Community standards? Censorship-sucks-censorship-censor-censored-nude-topless-nak-demotivational-poster-1252013366

Community standards? Censorship_saves_the_Day_Infinite_Picdump_14-s960x508-111983-580
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by NLSP 2012-01-07, 23:37

Thank you MaryamQ for this post. I am convinced that the majority of people on this forum agrees with you. The problem of people leaving is not due to strict moderating, but just due the big tolerance to behaviour that should be despised.
NLSP
NLSP
Threadophile
Threadophile

http://www.egov4you.info/citizen/overview/2361081

Back to top Go down

Post by Nohjis 2012-01-07, 23:52

I'm going to make this rather easy to understand for you shadowukcs. The internet is real life, get used to it.

We all play a role here in a game and as such, the in-game simulated interactions, even if they're of the play-pretend-kind on this forum are part of the gaming experience. That doesn't make it any different from reality. An insult remains an insult, if anything, in writing it is worse then in a spoken language since you have the power to offend more people. They can not see you are taking this lightly, they can not hear the light tone of your voice.

Do not mistake this call for censorship. I'm not against "bad" words or nudity, I feel they've been assimilated in modern day language and imagery. I do believe MaryamQ would be able to accept that as well. Words or images on their own shouldn't shock. It's the manipulation of the words and images to serve a vile goal.

I'm fiercly against personal and direct attacks against other people while using provocative language. You're not the only one using this strategy on the internet, I know that far too well. It is in fact a price we seem to pay for the complete freedom of expressing ourselves, for the possibility to meet people from different origins and different parts of the world.

The "many" people you say have left this forum due to heavy moderating are by far outnumbered by the "many" that do not post because they don't feel like being personally attacked when going on a forum. This is a game for everyone, a fun part of our lives. Can you explain where the fun is in reading things directed towards you as insults intended to hurt you ?

And as for Fhaemita, society in all its forms has always set limits to acceptable behaviour. This is of all places and all times. Be it survival of the fittest or a code of law written in dozens of books. Willingly offending others always comes with a price to pay at the end of the ride. Why should the internet be so different ? Is it because we can not smack someone in the face ? Is it because we're not entitled to walk away ? Is it because NLSP's morals would prevent him to buy small bombs to place in different areas of Mechelen until shadowukcs no longer posts on this forum ? Do share, I'm curious.

I know that in the end, we do have the option to ignore a user, we're in no way tied to this computer screen to read a personal attack or to open a spoiler to look at the misuse of an image if we know we can expect it. We have however chosen to ask this to stop. I do believe we're in far higher numbers to wish to see a friendly forum then there are people wishing for a hostile one. If someone that repeatedly breaks the rules of decency continues, that means the simple moderation of the post didn't work. That means other actions are necessary to make him understand. We can not imprison these people, we can not fine them, we can not cause them physical damage. If we shouldn't be hurt by an insult, the one posting it shouldn't be hurt by a warning or a ban.
Nohjis
Nohjis

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotarius 2012-01-07, 23:55

shadowukcs wrote:
4) The biggest, most active communities are the ones who are the least moderated. Dozens of active ppl have left eBelgium or less and less active because of utterly ridiculous and childish modding of the moderators/admins on this board. Admins/mods who think this forum is harboring a bunch 5 year olds is exactly what's killing this community and keeping our population. Every somewhat experienced foreign player leaves after weeks here because at the least sign of a (somewhat) adult joke, you have admins slapping you on the finger like kindergarten teacher slapping an infant coz he said "poo".

I agree but these persons still are on the forum and try to do more damge yhen good but I know that more people should be active on this forum if we behave more decent. Because they stopped reading or don't react anymore won't say they like it. They stopped because the mods didn't do enough.

@Fhaemita and no this isn't asking for stricter rules this is asking for commen sense a pitty that you see it different expected more from you.

@Shadowukcs it is good to stand up for people who can't defend them self even when you don't know them that's the problem these days we look to often the other way. And when you say you don't care about people who you don't know so what's the problem if people want to speak there one language, so I know you care about people you don't know see this the same. Show that also for other opions because I know you aren't a bad person give it a try, thank you.
And yes I didn't like the way NLSP said it but I also told him that so please everybody use your commen sense and wait a few minutes before you answer especially when you feel involved to the subject.

@MaryamQ I support your message and fully agree with you.
Cotarius
Cotarius
Forum Neenja
Forum Neenja

Back to top Go down

Post by M.Leviathin 2012-01-08, 00:03

All in all, this forum is basically an artificial island in the cesspool that is the internet. As is with all artificial islands, the ocean will reclaim it in time. This community tries very hard to keep that from happening, but we must all realize that our little island is not normal in the internet. Even in eRep, this forum is vastly different from any other. That is why almost every new person who has come from another country has left. While I see nothing wrong with the unnatural creation we have made here, we must understand also that the internet is what it is.
M.Leviathin
M.Leviathin
1,000 Club Member
1,000 Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fhaemita Malodorous 2012-01-08, 00:56

Community standards? Censorship-damn-it-was-good-too-demotivational-posters-1309913381
Fhaemita Malodorous
Fhaemita Malodorous
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Olv007 2012-01-08, 00:57

M.Leviathin wrote:All in all, this forum is basically an artificial island in the cesspool that is the internet. As is with all artificial islands, the ocean will reclaim it in time. This community tries very hard to keep that from happening, but we must all realize that our little island is not normal in the internet. Even in eRep, this forum is vastly different from any other. That is why almost every new person who has come from another country has left. While I see nothing wrong with the unnatural creation we have made here, we must understand also that the internet is what it is.

Amen
Olv007
Olv007
Forum Neenja
Forum Neenja

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudduck95 2012-01-08, 02:50

I agree Levi. And I love it Maryam.
Mudduck95
Mudduck95

Back to top Go down

Post by jamster737 2012-01-08, 12:20

it all depends on the level of censorship maybe we should make like a constitiution on this eg. we make a list of things that are and are not acceptable that way we have a clear lay out for all to read and understand
jamster737
jamster737

Back to top Go down

Post by Fhaemita Malodorous 2012-01-08, 12:34

jamster737 wrote:it all depends on the level of censorship maybe we should make like a constitiution on this eg. we make a list of things that are and are not acceptable that way we have a clear lay out for all to read and understand

Personally I think it's a Slippery slope, we start with a few things and before you know it more will be added, and more will be added. This is not an attack but the admins want to be much stricter and this will just give them something to me stricter and warn more. I know that the admins are not allowed to moderate but they do put "pressure" on the moderators to be more strict and warn more and I don't know how the new moderators react to that if they have a backbone of that they are sheep who will follow what the admins says. Like I said it's a Slippery slope, it ends with some rules but where will it end?
Fhaemita Malodorous
Fhaemita Malodorous
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryamQ 2012-01-08, 13:10

I understand your concern about a slippery slope, Fhaemita; however, does that mean we should have no standards whatsoever. I do not suggest that everyone must live up to my standard, which I realize is a bit old-fashioned, even for someone of my age. As Nohjis suggests, I can tolerate some profanity and/or nudity. I have seen it before, and lived to tell about it (although I do NOT have 500 channels on television, nor would I choose to watch offensive material). However, I do object to things that are directly insulting to whole classes of people, and as Nohjis also suggested, I think ad hominem attacks should be strictly forbidden - and both "sides" are guilty of these. Words and pictures per se are indeed harmless. The way they are presented may not be.
MaryamQ
MaryamQ
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critically 2012-01-08, 13:17

shadowukcs wrote:1) not "This" forum but rather "the internet". Welcome to it.

2) You can only feel offended by it if you allow yourself to be offended by it. Which, as I've said many times before, is rather sad (no offence maryam, I like you). Since being offended by someone whom you've never seen in your entire life and lives on the other side of the world is rather sad. If someone calls me a douche or a retard I don't whine about it. Why? Coz I don't give one rats ass what that person thinks of me so how can I be offended by it then?

3) I wasn't insulting ppl with a down syndrome but rather "insulting" (notice the "") NLSP for acting like someone who has the down syndrome.

5) I cannot believe you live in the US/Canada and not hear s*** thats 10 times worse than that on one of your 500 TV channels.

EDIT

6) crit has no sense of humour

1) does it mean that you NEED to insult everyone you don't like ?
2) Well, not everyone thinks like you. But okay I won't "censor" your opinion :p
3) You probably barely know what a guy/girl with the Sydrome of Down does or doesn't .... "Insulting" people with the intention to say that they act like they have the syndrome of down, isn't really funny. I think there are people here who know people that have that and ARE offended by it !!
4) Maybe you're right, that people leaves, but you stay here .... so it isn't that bad, no ? (oh yea, give me 5 names that left this forum because of the "ridiculous" moderators ?)
5) Well, all bad words are censored on USA television. I hear that if I watch South Park on the internet. If they say a bad word, I hear a "beep" tone. (fBEEPk , schBEEP, etc. etc.)
6) I do have sense of humour, but probably not the same like you. (although, I sometimes laugh with the pictures you sent Wink )
Critically
Critically
Forum Bad-a**
Forum Bad-a**

http://www.erepublik.com/en/citizen/profile/3323844

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-08, 14:17

Nohjis wrote:I'm going to make this rather easy to understand for you shadowukcs. The internet is real life, get used to it.

nope, you're right. it isn't. The internet is much free'er than real life. Thank god for that. On the internet freedom of speech is absolute. And that includes the right to insult anyone and anything. Whether you like it or not, that's like the first and foremost law of the internet.

And it's exactly that freedom that leads to progress of the human race, just like when Guttenberg invented the mobile printing press and ppl where allowed to print things that where insulting to the catholic church.

Nohjis wrote:
We all play a role here in a game and as such, the in-game simulated interactions, even if they're of the play-pretend-kind on this forum are part of the gaming experience. That doesn't make it any different from reality. An insult remains an insult, if anything, in writing it is worse then in a spoken language since you have the power to offend more people. They can not see you are taking this lightly, they can not hear the light tone of your voice.

Again, that's their problem for not knowing the internet. I'm not the only one like this. The entire internet is filled with it. Welcome to the 21st century. You can be a conservative clown and sit wiggling in a corner, yelling "Im not seeing this, I'm not seeing this" but eventually you'll have to accept the truth. That's how the world internet runs.

besides, again, if you feel insulted that's your own f*** problem for actually caring. Which makes you a mental f***-up. You're now different then than all those assclowns who saw Janet Jackson's boob during her Super bowl show with Justin Timberlake and decided to sue her.

Nohjis wrote:
Do not mistake this call for censorship. I'm not against "bad" words or nudity, I feel they've been assimilated in modern day language and imagery. I do believe MaryamQ would be able to accept that as well. Words or images on their own shouldn't shock. It's the manipulation of the words and images to serve a vile goal.

And yet, towards censorship is exactly what your post seems to be steering towards.

Nohjis wrote:
I'm fiercly against personal and direct attacks against other people while using provocative language. You're not the only one using this strategy on the internet, I know that far too well. It is in fact a price we seem to pay for the complete freedom of expressing ourselves, for the possibility to meet people from different origins and different parts of the world.

Exactly. I think it's great and I consider myself fair. Want to know why I consider myself the example of fairness? Coz I make fun of everyone equally. If anyone, it's Maryam who's discriminating by asking a different treatment for ppl with Down's. Ever heard of positive discrimination? Jews, blacks, whites, niggers, fags, handicapees, jiggers (jewish niggers, yes, they exist), muslims, christians, retards, straight ppl, pseudo-intelectuals, politicians, ... All are equally funny to me. I make no difference between them. I laugh with them all equally hard. f*** I even laugh with cancer. The first thing I told my aunt when I saw her after chemo was "You must be missis Proper (eng: mr. Clean), where is Mister Proper?" It made her laugh really hard and she smiled for the first time in a long time. After all, isn't laughter the song of the soul?

so you see, maybe the problem isn't me, but you. Maybe you take things too serious, maybe it's you who can't see that this is a silly game and that taking things that are written down here as serious makes you look completely ridiculous. Maybe, if you start looking at everything here as one big joke, you might enjoy this game even more. And maybe, when in 10-20 years, you've long quit this game and think back and realise you've spend 2-3 years of your life on this game feeling annoyed and offended by silly words when you could have seen the humour in it and laughed, you'll regret the fact that you you didn't laughed with posts like mine and tried to stimulate them in stead of wasting all your energy in being so damn insulted all the time. Why do you think I still play this game after so many years? It sure isn't for the admins.

Nohjis wrote:
The "many" people you say have left this forum due to heavy moderating are by far outnumbered by the "many" that do not post because they don't feel like being personally attacked when going on a forum. This is a game for everyone, a fun part of our lives. Can you explain where the fun is in reading things directed towards you as insults intended to hurt you ?

examples?
Konrad, MG, Rowan, Balkan beast, beermagadon, ... all extremely active members in this community who (could have) contributed a lot, have all left due to e-dictators like NLSP and the, what I call, neo-conservative Christian atmosphere on this forum. (because this forum is run like one of those bibleparks in the US)

Nohjis wrote:
And as for Fhaemita, society in all its forms has always set limits to acceptable behaviour. This is of all places and all times. Be it survival of the fittest or a code of law written in dozens of books. Willingly offending others always comes with a price to pay at the end of the ride. Why should the internet be so different ? Is it because we can not smack someone in the face ? Is it because we're not entitled to walk away ? Is it because NLSP's morals would prevent him to buy small bombs to place in different areas of Mechelen until shadowukcs no longer posts on this forum ? Do share, I'm curious.

exactly, every action has a reaction. I am willing to pay the price. "Come at me bro", give me all you got. I don't care if you insult me. As long as your reaction is in the same manner as my action, I'm fine with it. I have no problem with ppl calling me a douche or an idiot. None at all.

Want to know why? Coz that's the internet.

Nohjis wrote:
I know that in the end, we do have the option to ignore a user, we're in no way tied to this computer screen to read a personal attack or to open a spoiler to look at the misuse of an image if we know we can expect it.

exactly. If you don't like my posts, feel free to put me on ignore.

Nohjis wrote:
We have however chosen to ask this to stop. I do believe we're in far higher numbers to wish to see a friendly forum then there are people wishing for a hostile one. If someone that repeatedly breaks the rules of decency continues, that means the simple moderation of the post didn't work. That means other actions are necessary to make him understand. We can not imprison these people, we can not fine them, we can not cause them physical damage. If we shouldn't be hurt by an insult, the one posting it shouldn't be hurt by a warning or a ban.

And so it happens that in the process you create a censorship

*clap clap*

Cotarius wrote:
@Shadowukcs it is good to stand up for people who can't defend them self even when you don't know them that's the problem these days we look to often the other way. And when you say you don't care about people who you don't know so what's the problem if people want to speak there one language, so I know you care about people you don't know see this the same. Show that also for other opions because I know you aren't a bad person give it a try, thank you.
And yes I didn't like the way NLSP said it but I also told him that so please everybody use your commen sense and wait a few minutes before you answer especially when you feel involved to the subject..

I said I didn't care for the way ppl think about me. Not that "I don't care for ppl I don't know".

jamster737 wrote:it all depends on the level of censorship maybe we should make like a constitiution on this eg. we make a list of things that are and are not acceptable that way we have a clear lay out for all to read and understand

lol with admins like NLSP and an inexperienced mod team, something like that would only take a matter of days before it's abused for personal and political gain.

Critically wrote:
1) does it mean that you NEED to insult everyone you don't like ?
2) Well, not everyone thinks like you. But okay I won't "censor" your opinion :p
3) You probably barely know what a guy/girl with the Sydrome of Down does or doesn't .... "Insulting" people with the intention to say that they act like they have the syndrome of down, isn't really funny. I think there are people here who know people that have that and ARE offended by it !!
4) Maybe you're right, that people leaves, but you stay here .... so it isn't that bad, no ? (oh yea, give me 5 names that left this forum because of the "ridiculous" moderators ?)
5) Well, all bad words are censored on USA television. I hear that if I watch South Park on the internet. If they say a bad word, I hear a "beep" tone. (fBEEPk , schBEEP, etc. etc.)
6) I do have sense of humour, but probably not the same like you. (although, I sometimes laugh with the pictures you sent Wink )

1) yup
2) see comments above
3) Try again, s***, my neighbour is a slight bit autistic (not exactly the same, but comparable), I used to baby-sit and watch over him for years.
4) I stay for other reasons, the moderators not being one of them.
Also: Konrad, MG, Rowan, Balkan Beast, Chewie. That's 5.
5) exactly, thanks for proving my point about censoring/replacing words and it being utterly retarded and useless. see second picture here: http://www.erepbelgium.com/t5258-community-standards#103096
6) So that's a reason to silence someone? Having a different sense of humour?
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-08, 14:19

PS: kids like NLSP aren't bad-ass enough for Mechelen. If he'd ever come to Mechelen to place bombs, he'd be raped in no time* Razz

(inb4 someone feels offended in the name of all rape victims)
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Pertazeta 2012-01-08, 14:35

S**tstorm

Pertazeta
Pertazeta
Thread-Eater
Thread-Eater

http://www.erepofftopic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamster737 2012-01-08, 15:06

Fhaemita Malodorous wrote:

Personally I think it's a Slippery slope, we start with a few things and before you know it more will be added, and more will be added. This is not an attack but the admins want to be much stricter and this will just give them something to me stricter and warn more. I know that the admins are not allowed to moderate but they do put "pressure" on the moderators to be more strict and warn more and I don't know how the new moderators react to that if they have a backbone of that they are sheep who will follow what the admins says. Like I said it's a Slippery slope, it ends with some rules but where will it end?
better to take your time to climb a slippery slope than to sit at the bottom and never try
jamster737
jamster737

Back to top Go down

Post by Nohjis 2012-01-08, 20:52

shadowukcs wrote:nope, you're right. it isn't. The internet is much free'er than real life. Thank god for that. On the internet freedom of speech is absolute. And that includes the right to insult anyone and anything. Whether you like it or not, that's like the first and foremost law of the internet.

And it's exactly that freedom that leads to progress of the human race, just like when Guttenberg invented the mobile printing press and ppl where allowed to print things that where insulting to the catholic church.

It's exactly there where you're wrong. A difference in opinion was not answered by a personal insult in the examples you give. You seem to forget the difference between a conflict in ideas and a personal conflict. The internet in general is anarchy that's why there are no official rules against it. The first rule of the internet is indeed absolute freedom of speech, that doesn't include the "right" to insult anyone and anything. It only includes the possibility to do it. That is also why many places that are opened to have a debate culture put a strain on it. I agree that a general forum about gaming like mmorpg.com or so won't mind but when people are discussing political or religious ideas, having real debates that go beyond impacting your next choice to spend money or time on entertainment a stop is put to personal attacks.

Again, that's their problem for not knowing the internet. I'm not the only one like this. The entire internet is filled with it. Welcome to the 21st century. You can be a conservative clown and sit wiggling in a corner, yelling "Im not seeing this, I'm not seeing this" but eventually you'll have to accept the truth. That's how the world internet runs.

besides, again, if you feel insulted that's your own f*** problem for actually caring. Which makes you a mental f***-up. You're now different then than all those assclowns who saw Janet Jackson's boob during her Super bowl show with Justin Timberlake and decided to sue her.
Again you're not understanding the difference between personal insults and foul language. The latter I don't care about at all and people that are more conservative then me can accept this as part of the rebellion in the next generation.

Exactly. I think it's great and I consider myself fair. Want to know why I consider myself the example of fairness? Coz I make fun of everyone equally. If anyone, it's Maryam who's discriminating by asking a different treatment for ppl with Down's. Ever heard of positive discrimination? Jews, blacks, whites, niggers, fags, handicapees, jiggers (jewish niggers, yes, they exist), muslims, christians, retards, straight ppl, pseudo-intelectuals, politicians, ... All are equally funny to me. I make no difference between them. I laugh with them all equally hard. f*** I even laugh with cancer. The first thing I told my aunt when I saw her after chemo was "You must be missis Proper (eng: mr. Clean), where is Mister Proper?" It made her laugh really hard and she smiled for the first time in a long time. After all, isn't laughter the song of the soul?

so you see, maybe the problem isn't me, but you. Maybe you take things too serious, maybe it's you who can't see that this is a silly game and that taking things that are written down here as serious makes you look completely ridiculous. Maybe, if you start looking at everything here as one big joke, you might enjoy this game even more. And maybe, when in 10-20 years, you've long quit this game and think back and realise you've spend 2-3 years of your life on this game feeling annoyed and offended by silly words when you could have seen the humour in it and laughed, you'll regret the fact that you you didn't laughed with posts like mine and tried to stimulate them in stead of wasting all your energy in being so damn insulted all the time. Why do you think I still play this game after so many years? It sure isn't for the admins.

I don't believe you when you feel that everything is a joke, you use insults more often when you're being provoked and make them stronger when they're directed at certain people. There's a big difference between the situation with your aunt and a written text where people don't see your mimics or hear the tone of your voice. As long as you don't understand that difference it'll be hard for you to understand why people react differently.

You haven't tried to attack me personally so far, you could ofcourse give it a try to see how I handle personal attacks. But as it stands, I see no reason to feel insulted. I actually have fun debating things on a more or less serious tone. Life doesn't need to be a joke for me to enjoy it, I would feel sad for you if you think it needs to be.

When almost everyone tells you that you have a problem, it's generally you not everyone else. Wink

Nohjis wrote:

examples?
Konrad, MG, Rowan, Balkan beast, beermagadon, ... all extremely active members in this community who (could have) contributed a lot, have all left due to e-dictators like NLSP and the, what I call, neo-conservative Christian atmosphere on this forum. (because this forum is run like one of those bibleparks in the US)
1. You didn't answer my question.
2. I didn't ask for examples, I just said they're by far outnumbered by others that don't post.

exactly, every action has a reaction. I am willing to pay the price. "Come at me bro", give me all you got. I don't care if you insult me. As long as your reaction is in the same manner as my action, I'm fine with it. I have no problem with ppl calling me a douche or an idiot. None at all.

Want to know why? Coz that's the internet.
That's not what you show in your answers in different threads.

And so it happens that in the process you create a censorship

*clap clap*

We don't create one, it already existed, you just don't seem to face it already exists. I'm not willing to censor your ideas, not censoring your language. Noone is asking you to change your ideas or to stop using certain words. We're asking you to stop using ad hominem attacks. The moderators should understand that noone thinks it's correct to insult someone and that if that particular behaviour is repeated over and over again, we're all ok with punishment.

To finish, a small yet existing example:
Someone gets bullied on schoolgrounds, it had never been more then words or lies spread about them, examples of this bullying included facebook posts and personal blogs, the freedom of speech of the internet you're claiming. After a serious amount of time the bullied person commited suicide. Those involved in the bullying were all punished for their actions because the so-called absolute freedom of speech you're preaching doesn't exist. It is exactly because they had been written on the internet that a justice case could be made against them.
Nohjis
Nohjis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Dunbar 2012-01-10, 09:09

Is my signature offensive? If so, I'm willing to remove the picture. Didn't intend to offend anyone.
Mael Dunbar
Mael Dunbar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

http://fileflambe.be/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryamQ 2012-01-10, 09:39

Thanks for this, Mael. Speaking for myself, the problem is not with a word like "retard", but in how it is used. In your case, it is not used to mock a particular group of RL persons, nor is it directed at anyone particular in our community. Although it is not to my taste, I am not really bothered by it in this context. The one problem I might suggest with your signature, and again, that is a matter of taste, is that the picture is rather large. That sort of thing has previously raised objections, but I am not sure that we actually have any rule against it.
MaryamQ
MaryamQ
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikhail Alexander 2012-01-10, 10:07

If a spoiler tool is used, it means for those who wish to look at it can and those who don't, don't have too.
Mikhail Alexander
Mikhail Alexander
1,000 Club Member
1,000 Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mael Dunbar 2012-01-10, 11:09

And there we go!
Mael Dunbar
Mael Dunbar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

http://fileflambe.be/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikhail Alexander 2012-01-10, 11:39

Mael Dunbar wrote:And there we go!

Didn't mean in your case but ok Razz

The internet is a dangerous place, if you don't like it, don't use it. I understand there are limits and I agree with them but some harmless words aren't going to make a difference.
Mikhail Alexander
Mikhail Alexander
1,000 Club Member
1,000 Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fhaemita Malodorous 2012-01-10, 11:53

Mael Dunbar wrote:Is my signature offensive? If so, I'm willing to remove the picture. Didn't intend to offend anyone.

I blocked your picture!
Spoiler:
Fhaemita Malodorous
Fhaemita Malodorous
Forum Bad-ass
Forum Bad-ass

Back to top Go down

Post by RayCaptain 2012-01-10, 20:27

Here's the deal... And this is directed mainly at Shad (who I admire for many things and appreciate his bro-ship dearly ^-~ )...

Look, you are correct when you say the internet is the freest place on Earth. However, there are places in the internet, forums, that have rules in place and people in place (no matter how unlikable *cough*) to enforce those rules. They cannot make you follow them, nor can they make you accept them, or anything of the sort. However, when one (you or someone else they aren't buddies with) steps outside those rules, for whatever reason, they can (and probably will) crack down...

There is nothing but facts right there ^

I don't agree with it, I don't enjoy it, but that is the way this particular life goes.
RayCaptain
RayCaptain
Forum God
Forum God

Back to top Go down

Post by Manong Z 2012-01-29, 01:36

This forum is feisty with censorship arguments as ever. Nevertheless, shadow does not strike me as a professor of practicality, therefore the practical assumption would be to entertain the ideas of practical censorship which loosely means that you shouldn't f**** around... really. Even humor can still be humorous at its driest form.
Manong Z
Manong Z

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-29, 10:00

the censorship and frustrations with the forum admin team have gone down drastically now that NLSP is no longer admin
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Manong Z 2012-01-29, 14:59

shadowukcs wrote:the censorship and frustrations with the forum admin team have gone down drastically now that NLSP is no longer admin

Ah... what a deliberate scheme indeed.
Manong Z
Manong Z

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowukcs 2012-01-29, 16:55

Manong Rizal wrote:
shadowukcs wrote:the censorship and frustrations with the forum admin team have gone down drastically now that NLSP is no longer admin

Ah... what a deliberate scheme indeed.

I've spoken too soon

he's admin again

Let's take bets on how long it will take before I get banned

my predictions: between 24 and 48 hours from this post
shadowukcs
shadowukcs
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down